(Bounded by Redwood Drive, Pine Street, Mission Inn Avenue and Third Street) This residential district was part of the Southern California Colony Association’s 1870 purchase and lies immediately north of the original “Mile Square” boundaries. As part of the area’s second wave of residential growth and development, Colony Heights boasts some of Riverside’s finest examples of early twentieth century architectural styles including Craftsman, Spanish Colonial Revival, Tudor Revival, and Colonial Revival. A significant concentration of the residences were designed and built by well-known local architects, such as G. Stanley Wilson, Henry L.A. Jekel, and L.C. Waldman.
The district is located north of Riverside’s downtown core within the northeast portion of the original “Mile Square,” as laid out by the Southern California 2 Colony in 1871. It is significant as one of the earliest residential developments in the city. The district reflects the variety of architectural styles popular in the area during the turn-of-the twentieth century, and is particularly rich in Victorian-era styles. Period Revival as well as Arts and Crafts architecture of the early twentieth century reveal the evidence of the second phase of growth in the neighborhood, as large estates were subdivided to accommodate smaller, single story homes and duplexes. Heritage Square is also associated with a number of pioneer families and prominent individuals in the history of Riverside.
(Bounded roughly by Sixth Street, Eleventh Street, Market Street and the Riverside 91 Freeway) This commercial district is the old downtown core, and is comprised primarily of commercial and government buildings. It encompasses part of the Seventh Street Historic District and is distinctive for its embodiment of the Mission Revival style. Other styles include Spanish Colonial Revival and Art Deco with a variety of building materials such as ceramic brick, terra cotta and rough-hewn granite. Well-known architects of the district include Arthur Benton, Julia Morgan, G. Stanley Wilson, and Myron Hunt. Major focal points include the Mission Inn, the Riverside County Courthouse, the First Congregational Church, and the Fox Theater. The district features numerous resources listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
(Bounded by Redwood Drive, University Avenue, Mount Rubidoux Drive and Indian Hill Road). The design of this neighborhood, west of downtown, was intended to enhance the natural features of Mount Rubidoux. In addition to bankers and financiers, the area was home to growers, packers, manufacturers and others made rich by Riverside’s burgeoning citrus industry. Notable local architects including Franklin Burnham, G. Stanley Wilson, Robert H. Spurgeon and Henry L. A. Jekel designed houses in the Craftsman, Spanish Colonial Revival, and Tudor and Norman Revival styles. Building in the district began in 1903 and increased over the next several years due to the proximity of the neighborhood to the Seventh Street streetcar line which provided easy access to downtown.
(Bounded by Orange Grove Avenue, Prospect Place and Stadium Avenue and includes Fifteenth Street, between Main Street and Orange; Orange Street, between Prospect place and just northeast of Fifteenth; and a section of Main Street northwest of Fifteenth) Located just south of the original “Mile Square,” Prospect Place is one of Riverside’s first truly residential neighborhoods. The district’s early residences were single family houses ranging from opulent Queen Annes to simple bungalows. Later practices favored zoning downtown single 3 family residential areas for commercial, office, and high density residential uses. As a result of this practice, the original Prospect Place neighborhood has largely been replaced with offices and apartments. Its designation as a historic district, however, has saved it from complete conversion to commercial, office, and institutional uses.
The Wood Streets Historic District offers perhaps the most cohesive neighborhood design to be found in the city of Riverside. This area contains excellent examples of Craftsman, Spanish Colonial Revival, Tudor Revival and Colonial Revival style residences. The neighborhood was originally devoted to orange groves until 1913, when a fill was placed across the Tequesquite Arroyo allowing Magnolia Avenue to connect with downtown. Proximity and easy access to downtown made this area desirable for residential subdivision. A developer named Dr. Edward H. Wood used his name as a suffix to the first street name, Homewood Court, and so began a series. The Wood Streets have long served as a middle-class stronghold of Riverside.